Thursday, April 16, 2009

Tea Party like its 1773

I have been alive for only 17 tax days in my life. But only one was met with a revolutionary-style protest...as far as I know.
Apparently, this year about 800 Americans were fed up paying taxes that they didn't want to pay. I thought that was part of the American dream? I was under the assumption that people, whether they knew it or not, were indirectly funding some projects they might not agree with. But living in a democracy, we try to appeal to the majority, while accepting the fact that the losing side would just have to deal with the representatives they didn't want. It seems like life today is filled with sacrifices that the nation makes in order to make the majority happy, even if that majority is 50.1%.
So in my honest opinion, I think some people are getting a bit grumpy about something they know that they have to deal with as Americans. Im sure these same protestors have gotten thier way (politicaly) in the past, and had no problem that some fellow Americans just had to deal with it.
A question that keeps on occuring in my head is this: Should we as Americans just accept defeat when we aren't part of the majority, or should further advocation of one's less common beliefs be allowed and acceptable? On one hand, we as a nation were born through that "never die" attitude. Yet on the other hand, how could we get anything done as a country if only unanimous decisions were followed through with?

No comments: